Wednesday, March 18, 2009




Ecological intelligence is knowing when something is truly "green" and being conscience about what kinds of things hurt or help the world. In the article they used the example of a shirt that says 100% organic cotton. Their point was while the shirt was grown "naturally" The ink printed on it might tell a different story. Furthermore it is not efficient to use up so much land just for one T-shirt. (Please note that once cotton has been farmed from that area nothing can grow there again.) This article connects with our essential questions because it discusses why people do not live more sustainably and mentions that the reason for many people not living this way is the idea is hard to comprehend. Also the tremendous effort it would take to truly be green. This tells me that people lack the understanding and motivation to live more sustainably. I'm not quite sure if my ecological intelligence is high. Before the L.U.L.S. project I didn't think so deeply about what is truly green now, however, I find myself unable to not think of the subject. I suppose that means I went from almost no ecological intelligence to a bit more each day. An example of my intelligence (8D which is a lie~~~) would be yesterday when my mum tried to get me to eat meat. She said I had nothing to worry about because the animal was not from the states and was not mistreated like the animals here. While I appreciated that the animal may not have been tortured my next thought was is that very Eco friendly? To import meat when we could produce it here? However producing it here would mean that we must also fix the conditions of the animals so they are not tortured in the slaughter houses and mean that we would have to stop giving them hormones and genetically modifying them. I believe that that ties in to living sustainably because when we mistreat our farm animals they might not be the best they could be and the hormones we give them to get bigger faster has it's toll on us as well. How healthy can it be to eat something that's been altered so much that it's hardly natural anymore? However like most things that would be better for our environment it takes work and because people have gotten so used to the way things are now it would be hard for them to see that treating our livestock better really does make a difference.

2 comments:

William said...

That's so weird because today someone just gave me an organic t-shirt. And it has a bunch of ink on the front! But I never knew you can't reuse the area you grow cotton in. I wonder why.

HanaHadassah said...

it strips the soil of it's natural nutriance so the plants cannot grow :)